Mohamed Salah says he feels as if Liverpool have “thrown him under the bus” and his relationship with head coach Arne Slot has broken down.
Salah was an unused substitute on Saturday 3-3 draw with Leeds United – The Egyptian star has started his third consecutive game on the bench.
After the game, the player who scored 250 goals in 420 games for Liverpool said in an extraordinary interview with reporters: “I think it’s very clear that someone wanted me to get all the blame.
“I had said many times before that I had a good relationship with the manager, and suddenly we have no relationship.
“I don’t know why, but I feel like, that’s how I see it, that nobody wants me at the club.
“It feels like the club has thrown me under the bus. That’s how I feel. I think it’s very clear that someone wanted me to get all the blame.
“This club, I will always support it. My children will always support it. I love the club and I always will.”
“To be honest, this (situation) is not acceptable to me. I don’t understand it. It’s like I’m being thrown under the bus. I don’t think I’m the problem. I’ve done a lot for this club. I don’t have to fight every day for my position because I earn it. I’ve earned my position.”
Salah, who heads to the Africa Cup of Nations on 15 December, said he was unsure about his Liverpool future, despite signing a new two-year contract in April.
Salah, 33, scored 29 times in the 2024-25 Premier League as the Reds won the title in Slott’s first season in charge.
However, he has struggled for form as Liverpool have been unable to match the heights of last term.
Salah, who was brought to the club from Roma by Jurgen Klopp in 2017, has scored only four times in 13 top-flight appearances this season.
The Saudi Pro League has long held the ambition to add Salah – possibly the most recognizable Middle Eastern player on the planet – to its list of global superstars, which includes players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Sadio Mane.
Sources have indicated that Al-Hilal, managed by Simone Inzaghi, is one of the teams interested in Salah.
BBC Sport has been told that Liverpool remain open-minded about Salah’s future amid Saudi interest.
After the Leeds game – when Liverpool led 2–0 and then blew a 3–2 lead before equalizing in the 96th minute – Liverpool boss Arne Slott told Sky Sports why he did not use Salah at Elland Road.
“It was about controlling the game (at 3-2) and we didn’t need any goals,” Slot said before Salah’s interview. “Normally when you need a goal, like against Sunderland last week, I bring Mo on.”
Speaking in his pre-match press conference on Friday, Slott said he understood the discussion surrounding Salah after he was left out of the squad.
Slott said, “The chatter, yes, because he deserves it, he’s been so impressive to me and (for) the last six or seven years. It’s a totally normal thing for people to talk about when he’s not playing.”
Salah, third on Liverpool’s all-time scorers list behind Ian Rush (346) and Roger Hunt (285), made his most recent start in a 4–1 Champions League home defeat by PSV Eindhoven on 26 November.