The all-rounder hurt his thumb while batting late during Stars’ win over Strikers
Melbourne Stars captain Marcus Stoinis is confident that he will get a full chance ahead of the BBL final and T20 World Cup due to injury.
The 36-year-old all-rounder suffered an injury to his right thumb on a rising ball from Adelaide Strikers bowler Jamie Overton during the Stars’ six-wicket win on Tuesday night.
He retired hurt as a precaution, with the Stars firmly in control and needing only two more runs to win at that point.
But injuries have raised concerns, with the Stars chasing a long-awaited BBL title and some of Stoinis’s Australian teammates already in trouble ahead of the World Cup.
Pat Cummins (back), Josh Hazlewood (calf and Achilles) and Tim David (hamstring) are all working hard to be fit for the global showpiece starting on February 7.
“I think I’ll probably get a scan, but I think it’s OK,” Stoinis said while icing his thumb after the Stars’ win.
“In the beginning it seems like nothing and after about 10 seconds you feel something, and at that level of the game it’s probably not worth the risk.”
Stoinis said Strikers players Chris Lynn and Matt Short “spoke some sensible words to me” and suggested he retire hurt, with the outcome already in doubt.
“In the end it was the right decision,” he said.
Stoinis has broken fingers while batting in the past and said the latest setback has caused some nervousness.
“There was nothing in the beginning and then after about 10 seconds your hand starts shaking a bit and you get a bit nervous about it,” Stoinis said.
“I think it’s OK, but I think it’s not worth pursuing.”
Listen on SpotifyListen on Apple PodcastsListen on iHeartRadio
Stoinis’ injury occurred on a difficult wicket, on which Adelaide’s team was reduced to 83 runs when sent to bat first.
This was the second lowest score in the Strikers’ history and the third lowest by any BBL team at the MCG, yet it still took 15.1 overs for the Stars to reach the target of a modest win.
Stoinis was hesitant to discuss the surface in the wake of the controversy surrounding the Boxing Day Test pitch at the same venue last month.
The Ashes competition lasted for two days, causing loss of crores of rupees in revenue to Cricket Australia and also costing chief curator Matt Page.
“I always get nervous by what you say about things like this these days, but I’m sure you guys can see it was a hard surface,” Stoinis said of the BBL strip.
“It’s tough for T20 cricket. Without getting into trouble, I would just love to have these conversations and hopefully play on good wickets.”
“It was the same wicket (as the last match), but they had just removed some grass.
“We had a conversation after that last game and we wanted a better surface.
“I think that’s what they tried to do. It’s obviously difficult and they’re doing their best, but it’s not ideal for us.”
“It went up, it went down and it’s over.”
The Stars’ win over Adelaide has sealed their place in the BBL final and they could finish in the top two if they lose to fellow contenders Perth on Saturday in their final regular season final.